Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hawaii!!!

Friday night we went to a local restaurant that my cousins suggested. It's called Onos. Ono means delicious in Hawaiian and that it was! We had several local dishes and that included Poi! Poi is made from pulverized taro root. It is a staple in the Hawaiian diet. Some people hate it, others love it. It's supposed to be something you dip your meats and other foods into, it doesn't have a strong taste of it's own. I guess it's like eating tofu. I enjoyed it, Greg loved it. We'll see how my kids like it.


Saturday my cousins took us to the Dole Pineapple Plantation. We had a lot of fun in the maze.















We also went to see the North Shore Soap Factory. It is in an old sugar plantation building. It was fun to see what the big girls and boys do!





















We had Shave Ice while sightseeing on the North Shore. It's not the same as snow cones, it's finer. And the place my cousins took us is one of the best in the area. Apparently even the locals will line up to have some. There is a sign in the shop explaining how you are to order so that the line can move quickly.

Dinner was at a place called Side Street. It was an interesting looking place, but the food was really good. After dinner, we went to Senor Frog for some drinks and a little entertainment. My cousin knows the owners so we got special treatment. I had a drink called Lava Flow, it was yummy! The music was incredibly loud and it was a lot of fun. The waiters were fun, except for ours... I think he was a little intimidated at the fact that my cousin asked if one of the managers was around. We didn't have any complaints, he just seemed to be a little cautious after she did :)



Sunday my cousins took us to Pearl Harbor. I didn't realize how shallow the water was and how close you were to the sunken ship. It was an incredible experience. I want to take my kids to see it when we come back.

















We also went to The Punch Bowl. It's Hawaii's version of Arlington.
We went to see some sights today with a tour, but I will have to share those pictures later.

No comments: